Ballymena & Antrim Athletic Club introduce our FUNdamentals Section 2013.
Led by Co-managers Pauline and Stephen with the assistance of Club and Assistant Coaches.
It will be a fun-filled hour of athletics every Tuesday evening for boys and girls with an interest in the sport who are of primary school age.
WHO: Boys and Girls of Primary School age (6 – 12 years old).
WHAT: Develop and learn the Fundamentals of Athletics – Agility, Balance and Co-ordination through running, jumping and throwing.
WHERE: Antrim International Athletics Stadium, Lough Road, Antrim.
WHEN: Tuesday evening, 6.15pm START – 7.15pm FINISH (9th April – 20th August).
Kids are put into year groups with each group having their own lead coach – led through a warm up and some games, then onto running, relays, hurdles, long or high jump and throws. Each group will aim to get two events covered per evening and within a month have tried every event at least once.
Every session is finished with a 400m run, a cool down and some stretching.
This year there are lots of new competition opportunities for Fundamental Athletes aged 8 and over.
- Ulster Childrens Games (8-10)
- Ulster Juvenile Championships (11&12)
- power NI Super 5 Series – 5 open competitions at the Mary Peters Track in Belfast, with a selection of events to include a sprint, a distance run, a jump and a throw. All for fun and the chance to compete.
All athletes who would like to compete this year are required to:
- Complete and return a BAAC-Membership-Form with registration fee, first time members are required to provide a copy of a birth certificate for age verification.
- Order / Purchase a Club competition singlet, required for all competitions, available in the Clubroom ask the sign in registrar for more information.
- For Ulster Games / Championships – entry forms are available, to be returned to the Club by Friday 3rd May.
- Open Competitions – check with senior coaches / competition managers for the latest details.
Frequently asked questions:
- Do I/we have to pre-register?
No, come on down to Antrim Stadium, sign in (Name – Date of Birth – Emergency Contact Name and Phone Number) and have a go.
- How much is it?
£2.00 per child, for track fees, all based on a ‘pay as you use’, no one-of-fee this year.
Club Membership is £10.00 p/a 8-15 years old, everyone is encouraged to join the Club.
- Is there anything we should bring?
Yes, drinks bottles, clearly marked – no cans or fizzy drinks. Layers of comfortable clothing is recommended for all and training shoes are to be worn. Asthma inhalers / epi pens etc. should be brought to training and the club staff informed.
- ONLY athletes, coaches and volunteers are allowed INSIDE the track area (black fence). Parents can use the covered stand.
- Following safeguarding guidelines and Club procedures, there will be ONE access gate in use, access to the track area is permitted once signed in and dues paid.
- Please arrive early to assist with sign in and group allocation.
Finally any parents who would like to volunteer for an hour a week, your help would be greatly appreciated. There are lots of options from general admin, sign-in assistant, equipment stores, you could even help bring back the tea/coffee station or ‘tuck shop’.